Monday, December 15, 2008

MyAccess

I found Dr. Luongo's MyAccess presentation interesting and I can see how this program could be amazing for a person who teaches writing, especially with students that perform at a lower level. Although my concentration is History, I think that reading and writing needs to be taught and emphasized in almost every class. If as a teacher my school had access to this program, I would most certainly find a way to utilize it in my classes.
The immediate feedback of the program is what I found to be one of the most interesting aspects of the program . The feedback includes scores and/or the grade for the writing that the student has just completed. I think that as a teacher it would be important for students to see their which areas they are strong in along with the areas they can improve in.
The only drawback I could see is if a teacher relies on the program too heavily, students may have trouble adjusting back to writing with pen and paper when they are actually tested. Also, as with most of the web-based resources we have explored, cost is always a concern. However, this seems to be a program that would be worth the money for school districts to invest in.

No comments: